re•flect ~ri'flekt~ 1 [trans.] (of a surface or body) throw back (heat, light, or sound) without absorbing it • (of a mirror or shiny surface) show an image of • embody or represent (something) in a faithful or appropriate way 2 [intrans.] (reflect on/upon) think deeply or carefully about

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Green and Complete

It all began when I decided to 'get my green on'. It was Friday after school and I was setting out all the green in my wardrobe for the weekend. I had plenty for two days, so I started my birthday right then. I had just received a package from my parents earlier that day.

I had left school to take a moto down to the post office and pick it up. When I got back to school, I went to the back corner of the library and sat down in a chair to open the box--just as the power went out again and the fans slowly came to a halt. It was hot and I was sweating. But those weren't the only ducts working as I read the card from mom and dad. Also inside were 3 pairs of much needed boxers (green), the perfect St. Patrick's Day shirt, 'St. Patrick's Day 2007', green flip-flops, the program from Emily's Jazz Band Concert, a note from Mormor and Morfar with Cracker Jacks, and Doritos.

Back in my room, I showered, half for rinsing the sweat off, half for the cooling 'swim'. Then I donned some new green sailboat boxers, put my leg through my pair of clean green pants, then the green shirt from my brother and sister. Shortly, I was informed that they were waiting for me. I quickly finished packing, filled my water bottle downstairs, and went out the door with my green flip-flops. I was green and complete. I felt better already.

There on the road was my Cambodia 'family': Gary & Sharon, Tim & Fay, Michelle, Lindsay, and Rithy (our driver for the weekend and the administrator from the school who I live with). We took the school van and headed to the mountains!


Clad in my green, I pose for a set-up picture. I remained completely oblivious as Lindsay and Gary posed for a second picture (an odd group for a picture, I thought), and then they picked me up and moved towards the lake. I still didn't think they would do it until they stopped to argue about how they could throw me in. It was too muddy and shallow. If they threw me from there I'd land in the mud and if they went farther, they'd get muddier than they already were. So they decided to put me down. I could've easily been had.


Lindsay and I explored up the rather dry creek and found some cool leaves, thick jungle, and even some water. (It's the end of dry season)


Picnic under the pines (II)


A rather stacked vehicle I saw on the drive back to Phnom Penh. Rather indeed.

It was all I could hope for AND more! It was great to be back out in nature. That's the best. I saw some nice waterfalls, big rocks, colorful butterflies, unique insects and leaves, felt cool air, saw bright stars, and ate plenty of good and green food in honor of St. Patrick's (and my) Day. We sang songs and got to know each other better. We did some hiking and saw the scenery. It was great to get out of Phnom Penh into nature. It couldn't have been better.


A lucky snapshot of two poor children.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Jeremiah,

Nice blog. Your pictures are amazing. I'm inspired. God bless!

---Sarah

8:51 AM

 
Blogger Christoffer said...

they knew it was your day of birth, no? mercy. i think they should've thrown you in. a nice birthday bath. see ya later, muddy buddy.

7:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home