re•flect ~ri'flekt~ 1 [trans.] (of a surface or body) throw back (heat, light, or sound) without absorbing it • (of a mirror or shiny surface) show an image of • embody or represent (something) in a faithful or appropriate way 2 [intrans.] (reflect on/upon) think deeply or carefully about

Monday, February 04, 2008

after studio

I didn't feel like staying at all late after studio. I played racquetball yesterday and I am sore. My arms are sore, my neck is sore, my pectorals are sore, my abdomens are sore. It hurts to laugh, but when Professor Seibold, speaking of egress issues, mentioned that Professor "Mark Moreno was coming out of the closet", I enjoyed laughing anyway. It brought back good memories of a time when laughing until it hurt was more common. I wasn't hungry when I left studio, so I went back to my room, anticipating some time to take it easy, being that I left studio somewhat early.


On my walk home I photographed (before dark) a 3-part sequence to sketch later that night for analytical studies. I took my time stamping my lonely footsteps in the snow, avoiding the plowed sidewalks. I walked under a beech tree, it's translucent brown leaves dropped casually yet elegantly on the white canvas. I realized that I am the only one to walk in this place during the last two weeks of snow, even though it's at the center of campus. When I arrived indoors, I could feel my cold face against the warm air.

Through the lobby, up the stairs, down the hall, and into room 339. The dark room continued to hold my roommate in his chair, fixed predictably in front of his computer. This time, he spoke to me first, "How's it going?" Glad for some initiative on his part, I replied a bit surprised. I played along and acted interested. Then I sat down and considered his one choice of a significant thing to share with me. I stare as he eats his styrofoam take-out supper and sips from one of two glass bottles, one already empty. I find myself disappointed, even hateful of his oblivious consumption and lack of action. He has no idea how fortunate he is to be a U.S. citizen, going to school, with all his needs met.

With that, I decided to do my laundry and check my mail. There, in my post box, was a something-from-Emily-sized envelope. I smiled. I inspected it carefully and my smile widened. Some beads had rubbed holes on two sides of the envelope. I knew there was something special inside. Bearing it slowly back up the steps to my room, drawing out the time as long as possible, I reveled in the moment. After clearing my desk, I held the letter lightly as if performing a ritual and read it slowly. Like a rosary, the hemp and beads are now around my wrist.

Before I knew it, the cafe was soon to close at 7:00. I was annoyed at the passing of time. The feeling of folly I had drawn from my roommate still weighed heavily on my shoulders like a cape. I didn't see anyone I wanted to sit with, until I saw Christopher, Sondra, Kisha, and Bryce, old classmates from second-year. I'm always excited when I get to talk and laugh with them again. Talk and laugh we did.

I was supposed to call my Father before it got too late. I was excited that I still had yet to read my devotion and more about Joshua and the Israelites in Numbers. I still have those sketches to do as well. Where time has gone this evening, I can't say. Yet, I have crossed a few things off my list. I have been reminded of the importance of expressing and sharing my thoughts. I talked with Emily, I have written, and I will review my day again in prayer before I rest. Emily asked me if I had a rough day. I wasn't quite sure how to answer. I suppose some of it might have been rough, but right now--i just feel good. I've heard some good music, and what's more, my most recent favorite song, "Apologize", is up next on the playlist.

1 Comments:

Blogger Christoffer said...

a most wonderful addition

5:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home