re•flect ~ri'flekt~ 1 [trans.] (of a surface or body) throw back (heat, light, or sound) without absorbing it • (of a mirror or shiny surface) show an image of • embody or represent (something) in a faithful or appropriate way 2 [intrans.] (reflect on/upon) think deeply or carefully about

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

the unfinished and unaccounted for rest of the story

Nearly eight months after my last post, life is settling back down. Coming home from Cambodia has been harder than I thought it would be. I had heard that culture shock can be bad coming back home. But I couldn't imagine what it might be like.

I'm settling in to life here. It's different than before. I will never settle into life the way it was. At first I was fine. I was glad I went. I was glad to be home. It was good to see my friends and family again. It took all summer (all six weeks of it) to eat all the different foods I hadn't had in a while. People would ask me about culture shock. The only shock was that I thought I didn't have culture shock. I didn't know what was wrong with me. When I left for school, I hugged my dad, brother, sister-in-law, and mom. I cried. I wasn't ready to leave again yet. I hadn't had enough time. Not enough time. I lived a year in another country, with no one I had previously known. I didn't even begin to share that year and all of its experiences with those I love. I didn't want to leave and feel alone again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home